Sometimes, we have to suffer a little.

by debianjoe



…and replace all of our music and wallpapers.

So, my first attempt at the last project that I started playing with ended very badly.  I had made a few hacks to some of the source to bsd userland to get it to run on my systemd-based Debian distro.  It would appear that one of my “tiny modifications” caused a few issues, and eventually resulted in a kernel panic and un-bootable system.

Life is like that sometimes.  It was just a single partition, and since I generally know that I’m going to break things, I keep pretty regular backups of everything that I don’t want to lose.  I decided that since I wasn’t sure which of the packages the error was located in, I’d simply start over and pay much closer attention this time.

Anyhow, I’ve managed to repair most of the damage I’d done to the system, and get it back up and working with a hybrid GNU/BSD userspace.  So far, I’ve not noticed the steadily increasing memory usage like last time, but I also used valgrind to double-check myself this time around.  (I know you’re supposed to always check for leaks, but I was in a hurry…perhaps I should remember that being in a hurry can really slow down progress.)

Still, the nature of errors and experimentation means that some days, you’re going to break things.  The old adage about breaking eggs to make omelets comes to mind.

I guess that if there was a moral to this story, it would be “Always make backups of important objects in multiple locations.”

…and feel free to link me to some good wallpapers.